Thursday, March 19, 2009

Airman and Teacher

When I'm not an Airman, I'm a Special Education teacher in an incarcerated facility, working with juveniles. As I get closer to leaving Afghanistan, my thoughts are slowly turning to teaching again, although, I will probably not be in the classroom until next school year. Once home, am taking the summer off to be with my family, and honor them for THEIR sacrifices. Think we're going to France!

While deployed, our base chaplain sends out words of encouragement on a daily basis. Although all are thought provoking, the one below, I associate to the students at the court school I'm assigned to. I see it, I live it. I just have to think back to the times I've gone on home visits, and seen the home environment my students are being raised in. Yup, this quote holds lots of meaning.

"THE CURE OF CRIME IS NOT IN THE ELECTRIC CHAIR, BUT IN THE HIGH CHAIR. WHAT DO YOU WANT CHILDREN OF THE WORLD TO LEARN? WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN?"

2 comments:

  1. Great quote! As a high school teacher in a welfare area, I often felt like I was beating my head against a brick wall. No matter what I put into students at school, they still went home, and what ever was "normal" at home was their norm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work your doing here "deployed teacher". Teaching is not limited to the children of the world. From what I've seen, the kids "get it", it's the adults that need learning.

    Keep up the good cause. Every person that doesn't support the effort in Afghanistan gets an education from this old Navy squid.

    ReplyDelete

DeployedTeacher.com domain from:

Banner