Saturday, November 29, 2008

Nights and Sleep

Last night was a rough one! With the weather starting to cool off at night preparing for winter, the heater would come on and at some point it never fails to rattle for part of its cycle. Need to check it out and see whats causing the rattle.

Also, the generators were kicking- in at what seemed like the exact moment the heater and its rattle finished warming the room. And to top it all off, having a flightline nearby that has aircraft taking off at all hours of the night, one has to wonder how anybody gets any sleep at all! Apart from my first week here when I was acclimating, sleep has not been a problem. Its amazing what the mind and body can choose to ignore when it is tired.

I write this as I wake up because I remember laying in bed last night thinking, "you've got to be kidding me", as the heater shuddered. Then, as if on an orchestral cue guided by a conductor, the generator whined loudly, after which, a large aircraft taxied, then roared down the runway to finish the suite.

The real reason I choose to tell you about the Noise Level Waltz; Opus I, is because my cold symptoms returned yesterday and made sleeping more difficult. I usually sleep through the symphony but it was almost funny how last night, I noticed the sounds playing off each other in unison, and for the first time since arriving, found it humorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DeployedTeacher.com domain from:

Banner