Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Afghan Fishing Redneck Style

Call me sentimental, but as I get closer to leaving, I recall my son asking "Can we go fishing when you get back?" I replied, "Sure thing!"

Mind you, it has been years since I fished and although I would like to go, I worry that my 8 yr old son won't be able to sit still long enough to enjoy the benefits of fishing and nature. From my recollection, fishing is a very serene sport requiring LOTs of patience and time. But that won't stop us, we're there!

My father took us fishing when we were kids and I have fond memories, even when we didn't catch anything. It felt good to be out with friends and family members. Those were the days when kids piled into the back of a pickup, and traveled, open air, to dad's favorite fishing hole, many miles away. Try that now...in California. Good luck!

It got me thinking, I had heard of Afghans using RPGs and grenades to fish, and lo and behold, here is some footage available for you at YouTube. It further got me thinking that this style of fishing would be something worthy of Jeff Foxworthy and his Redneck Comedy routine. Googled Redneck fishing, and this is what I came up with for your perusal: view here and here

So here's to connecting our Afghan and Redneck brothers together, do ya think I can justify bringing a few grenades or RPGs home? Probably easier to teach then baiting a hook!

4 comments:

  1. My dad was not a fisherman, but an older neighbor was. She would take my brother and me in her old Willis Jeep, give us a pole, and hope we stayed out of trouble. We usually managed to fall in the water at least once. But one time I actually caught a fish. I still remember how thrilled I was. It is not about catching fish, although that is a bonus; it is about quality time with your kids and making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah, take him fishing! But let me tell ya a little secret... Buy a cane pole for him. My kids had their little Zebco poles while I fished with my grandpa's old cane pole. I was the only one catching any fish. Course, they had to borrow it from me just to try. Rotten kids!

    My grandkids are getting to the age where I can start taking them down to the local lake. Always a good thing to continue those things we shared with our kids as well as our parents.

    Hope that y'all have loads of fun.

    oh, btw. Congrats on being added to the Sandbox. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going fishing for me was about spending time... I had a great uncle who took me fishing at Shaver Lake when I begged - what I learned from him had little to do with fish and much to do with life and love. My grandfather took me surf fishing at Morro Bay - again, the fish were not that important. I hope you are soon fishing with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been RPG fishing all the time in Afghanistan and it is a hell of a lot of fun, I must tell. :)

    http://www.afghanistanjobs.info

    ReplyDelete

DeployedTeacher.com domain from:

Banner